Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Somebody to Love

Where's the love?! It's amazing to see how divorce rates are skyrocketing and people are taking marriage and love less seriously. Teens are believing they're in love and ruining their lives over something that's supposed to make you better. Whereas adults are putting love off as something unnecessary and comical. For the past month, my English class has been studying sarcasm and humor by using "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Many people hear "Princess Bride" and think about the movie classic starring Robin Wright. However, the movie and book have two different undertones. While the movie teaches the power of true love...the books says other wise constantly mocking the idea of "true love". Through this sarcastic study I have come to the question of..."Does true love actually exist?"

I see my parents...middle school sweethearts. Though they have changed when they first met...u still see a glowing love between the two of them. They laugh at the same things and complete each other's sentences. Though they may not be openly affectionate like newlyweds they still show a mind blowing and chilling love for each other. But they met a longggg time ago. Not trying to put an age on my parents, but back then times were different. I believe in this day and age, finding love is harder and harder because people don't really care too much about it's importance. Committment seems to be too much for people.

My dad is a pastor and he always has interesting stories to tell my family about church members. Part of his job is counciling married couples and some of the things said are shocking. People who have been married for 3 months have come to him wanting a divorce because they believe "they're not the one". But I always ask my dad..."Wouldn't they have known that before they tied the knot?" In "Princess Bride", Buttercup, the main character, accepts Prince Humperdinck's hand in marriage saying "She will never love him". Sometimes, I feel as though people get married out of fear of being alone or just for the right of saying, "I'M MARRIED!". However, it's not my job to figure it out. I'm just focusing on having a good time hoping when the time comes my husband will be everything I want and more!

2 comments:

  1. My 10th anniversary will be in September and I'm still trying to figure it out. All I know is that without God in the center of our life (that being one life as two people) I know that disaster would have come upon my house. When a married couple keeps God in the center, divorce is not an option and all things are possible. That rule could be applied to every aspect of life as well. Keep God first and His hand will protect you and guide you to do the impossible.

    ReplyDelete