Thursday, September 10, 2009

Laugh In the Face of Fear

A week ago, my family received bad news about my grandfather. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. This disease is known for making people shake and it also affects the way you move. Yes, everyone was heartbroken but my grandfather did not pout along with everyone else. He seemed superior and was awesome by the way he took his bad news and made a joke, telling my grandma how he can't embarass himself by going to the grocery store to run her errands anymore. The doctors suggested that he lay low for a couple weeks and tries to rest his legs more often. This will be quite an obstacle for my grandpa, considering he is a hardworking man that is never able to sit down for more than a few minutes. He is constantly up and moving. Today, my granny called my dad worried. She said no matter how much she tried to warn my grandpa about his disease he refused to sit down and rest. My dad then proceeded to talk to him, explaining how is lifestyle is going to have to change since he was diagnosed with a disease that causes for him to me less mobile. My grandpa then said he was scared to stop moving because now he lives day by day wondering how much he is going to shake, or if his legs are gonna allow him to properly walk to the kitchen and back to the coach without trembling. My dad got a little teary eyed and answered, "You can't live with fear, daddy." After some emotional parts in the conversation my dad then laughed. My grandpa had just changed the subject and said he was sooo happy football season had started and that maybe now it will be easier for him to sit on the coach and be lazy all day.
My grandpa is a great example of how sometimes life can get scary and that sometimes you can't hold back the tears. But, though your times are tough, you should be able to laugh every now and then...maybe even most of the time knowing that you've got family and friends. But the most important person you have is God, your keeper, your best friend, your everything!

1 comment: